Virtual Tour on Google – click/hold and drag to scroll around, click along the path to the resort reception
Mission Beach is one of Tropical North Queensland’s best kept secrets. Positioned on 14km of pristine golden beaches, Mission Beach is one of only two spots in Australia where two World Heritage areas – the Wet Tropics rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef – meet, making for a unique holiday, weekend getaway or romantic escape.
To make the most of Mission Beach’s stunning tropical environs there are a range of activities to enjoy including fishing, boating, kayaking, diving and snorkelling.
Mission Beach is also the closest departure point to the Great Barrier Reef on the East Coast of Australia. Snorkel or SCUBA dive pristine coral reefs of the Coral Sea. This aquatic playground is home to turtles, lionfish and giant rays, and snorkellers are often able to catch sight of these splendid sea creatures. Mission Beach also features the Lady Bowen shipwreck – at 34 metres this provides a near untouched dive site for the advanced diver.
Less than 4km offshore, Dunk and the Family Group of islands make up Mission Beach’s aquatic playground. The tropical verge of Dunk Island is wonderful for cool rainforest walks, and climbing the summit of Mount Kootaloo will reward you with stunning views. Day trips to Dunk Island from Mission Beach can be enjoyed with minimum effort and there are a range of activities available to keep visitors entertained including horse-riding, tennis and jet-skiing.
Only 30 minutes drive inland lies Tully, the unofficial whitewater rafting capital of Australia. The Tully River features Grade 3 and Grade 4 rapids for those seeking the extreme. Local skydiving operators can also offer one of the most spectacular skydiving experiences and drop zones in the country, landing on the white sands of Mission Beach from 14,000 feet. Mission Beach is fast becoming the adventure destination to experience and Castaways Resort & Spa Mission Beach is able to create an accommodation package to suit you.
Mission Beach has earned a reputation as a haven for rest and relaxation. The region also boasts a range of unique and exciting attractions only a short drive from Mission Beach including the famous Paronella Park.
What’s in the Area
- Reef trips – snorkelling and SCUBA diving
- Local Rainforest walks – guided or unguided
- Dunk Island – Australia’s tropical playground is only 15 minutes away by water taxi
- Fishing – estuarine, reef and deep-sea trips available
- Tandem Skydiving – landing right on the sand at the front of the resort
- Whitewater rafting – get wet on the world famous Tully River rapids
- Kayaking – guided calm-water and Dunk Island tours
- Misty Mountain Trails – Tropical North Queensland’s newest attraction
- Local Markets – seasonally
- Mission Beach shopping – 400m walk up the beach to shops, restaurants and bars
- Private Boat Charter – catamaran and tinnie hire